Chicago defines some of the greatest food in the world. We invented some, perfected others. In some cases, we just eat more of it than most other cities.
Here are a few. Let us know if we’re missing any. Ands yeah, we know that’s not a picture of a classic Chicago dog.
1893 Chicago World’s Columbian Exposition invention. Originally made with used semi-sweet chocolate, walnuts and an apricot glaze. Recipe.
- Chicago barbecue
They just don’t make it quite right anywhere else.
- Cinnamon rolls
You know those from that one famous place.
- Deep-dish pizza
Which pizza joint is your favorite? We miss Barone’s. Here’s the history of pizza.
- Flaming saganaki
People put this as a condiment on pizza, hot dogs, and Italian beef.
- Hot dog
Gotta have poppy seeds on it
- Italian beef sandwich
Maybe invented here, but definitely perfected in Chicago. Needs a cold beer to wash it down.
- Jibarito sandwich
Invented here — Puerto Rico-style sandwich. Steak + garlic mayo, tomato slices, lettuce, onions and cheese. Use fried plantain instead of bread.
- Pizza puffs
Not a calzone but still popular here
Cheese and caramel is a Chicago thing
- Rainbow cone
Since 1926 — invented here
People are steak long before, but because of the stockyards, we eat more than most.
We didn’t invent them, but we do have lots of people from Latin America. Especially popular is the mother-in-law — a tamale on a hot dog bun, topped with chili.
Got a Good Recipe?
Places We Ate
Some places took over the space of some favorites.
- Aurelio’s Pizza (Palos Heights)
- Barnaby’s (Worth)
- Barone’s Pizza (Crestwood)
- Baskin Robbins (Palos Heights)
- Bonanza (Worth)
- Bon a Pit
- Brown’s Fried Chicken (Orland Park)
- Cal’s Roast Beef (Crestwood, Worth)
- Chicken Unlimited (Palos Heights)
- Country House (Crestwood)
- Courtyard Restaurant (Palos Park)
- Dog n’ Suds
- Dunlap’s Restaurant (Palos Heights)
- El Dorado (Crestwood)
- Franklin’s Pie Co.
- Frosted Mug (Alsip)
- Giordano’s Pizza (Palos Heights)
- Granny’s Hot Dogs
- Hackney’s (Palos Park)
- Happy’s Pizza (Worth)
- Harvest Room
- Herb’s Grill (Palos Heights)
- Hobknob’s (Palos Park)
- Jack Gibbons Garden
- Jeremiah Sweeney’s (Orland Park)
- Jolly Jay’s
- Jr’s Hot Dogs
- Kirby’s Hot Dogs (Palos Heights)
- Lumes (Palos Heights)
- Lupe’s Pizza (Worth)
- Mama Vesuvio’s East (Palos Heights)
- Mango’s (Crestwood)
- Matterhorn (Palos Park)
- Mickey’s Gyro’s (Worth)
- Palos Square (Palos Heights)
- Pancho’s Villa
- Peppo’s (Palos Hills)
- Petrula’s Hot Dogs (
- Pizza Pete (Orland Park)
- Plush Horse (Palos Hills)
- Ponderosa (Palos Heights)
- Poppin’ Fresh Pies / Bakers Square (Palos Heights)
- Pops (Palos Heights)
- Rod’s Drive-in (Palos Heights)
- Royal Berry (Palos Heights)
- Russo’s Pizza (Alsip)
- Sam Buca’s
- Sophie’s (Palos Hills)
- Stump’s Pub (Worth)
- Tin Lung (Palos Heights)
- Traverso’s Pizza (Orland Park)
- Willie’s Weenie Wagon
- Winchell’s Donuts (Palos Heights)